Low Carb Keto Shredded Beef with Mushrooms
Keto shredded beef is a meaty meal that feels indulgent with a huge mound of succulent beef and mushrooms. Amazingly, it is totally low carb and keto-friendly, so bring it on, right?
This recipe is deceivingly easy to make with very little hands-on time because you use your Instant Pot to make tender, juicy beef from a chuck roast! Season the roast with salt and pepper, and with the Instant Pot set to saute, brown the meat well on both sides. This simple step makes all the difference in the world! It takes any meat from “meh” to marvelous!
Browning is an often-overlooked step when preparing delicious meat. You’re not only giving the meat a better appearance, but you’re also adding tons of flavor! Don’t skip this step!
Raw meat has very little flavor, but something magical happens when you brown it before cooking. It’s called The Maillard Reaction. Browning meat creates a chemical reaction between amino acids and natural sugars. Large molecules break down into smaller molecules. The process adds flavors and aromas that heighten our enjoyment of eating meat.
Are you a hard-core foodie who wants to know more? I laughed aloud all by myself when I read this post! I now know more than I’ll ever need to know about the science of browning all things, but it was a fun read! Here’s the long, scientific, witty, hilarious article on The Maillard Reaction.
How To Make Perfectly Succulent Shreddable Beef In Your Instant Pot
Now that you have browned your roast beautifully add the beef broth, Worcestershire Sauce, mushrooms, bay leaves, and garlic to the Instant Pot. Set the pot to pressure cook on high for 65 minutes. If your roast is bigger, add ten minutes of cook time for each pound of beef.
When the cooking time ends, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick vent the remaining pressure with the release valve. Remove the roast and place it on a cutting board. Take out the mushrooms and set them aside. Throw away the garlic and the bay leaves.
When the roast is cool enough to handle, pull the meat apart with two forks. Remove any larger pieces of fat as you go and discard them. Finally, return the beef and mushrooms to the Instant Pot and allow them to rest in the cooking liquid for 10 minutes before serving.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 pound chuck roast, fat trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh baby Bella mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- Add olive oil to an Instant Pot and set it to Saute.
- Salt and pepper chuck roast. Add chuck roast to the Instant Pot and brown the meat on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire Sauce, mushrooms, bay leaves, and garlic to the Instant Pot.
- Pressure cook on High (or on Beef/ Stew setting) for 65 minutes. If your roast is bigger, add 10 minutes of cook time for each extra pound. Once the cooking time is over, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes, then vent the remaining steam with the release valve.
- Remove the roast and place it on a cutting board. Remove mushrooms and set aside.
- Remove bay leaves and garlic cloves and throw them away.
- Pull the meat apart with two forks once the roast is cool enough to handle. Scrape the larger pieces of fat off as you pull the meat.
- Return the meat and mushrooms to the Instant Pot and rest in the cooking liquid for 10 minutes before serving.
To thicken the pan juice into a gravy, dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot in water and add to the Instant Pot. Bring to a simmer on the Saute setting, and simmer until thickened.
Here Are The Remarkable Benefits Of A Keto Diet
Why keto, you ask? A ketogenic diet is very low-carb, and it’s also high in “good” dietary fat. The diet also needs to include a moderate amount of high-quality protein from meat, fish, egg, tofu, or other meat substitutes to achieve positive results.
The reduction in carbohydrate intake puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. When this happens, your body becomes markedly more efficient at burning fat for energy. A ketogenic diet can also cause massive reductions in blood sugar insulin levels and help with weight loss.
People on keto diets also report these encouraging results.
- Reduced blood pressure
- Slowing of the aging process
- Improved sleep and mood
- Increased energy
What a gorgeous plate! This recipe is proof that low-carb meals do not require any compromise with great flavor! Do you have a favorite recipe for a low-carb, keto-friendly entree? We’d love to hear from you!
MORE OF OUR QUICK AND EASY FAMILY-STYLE RECIPES:
If you like these recipes, you are our people! You can check some related articles below or search via categories on the right. But, be warned; you will be on here for hours. Enjoy!