Perfect Corned Beef And Cabbage Doesn’t Take All Day
You can have perfect corned beef and cabbage without waiting all day! Make it in your Instant Pot, and let it do all the work for you! The meat will come out incredibly juicy and tender in about 90 minutes, and it will only take a few additional minutes to get gorgeous, colorful potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, too!
It’s the perfect menu for a St. Patrick’s Day feast, and we all like to pretend we are a wee bit Irish on March 17, don’t we? Here is a fun little article about the holiday. I’m sure some of the topics will surprise you!
Since you can make this traditional dinner in your Instant Pot, you can buy the ingredients tomorrow and be a last-minute kind of cook! Usually, corned beef is sold fresh, not frozen, so there’s no pesky defrosting time to deal with!
And, you don’t need all day to make Perfect Corned Beef And Cabbage because pressure cooking drastically speeds up the time it takes to make a tough cut of beef fork-tender and juicy.
Corned Beef 101 Here’s A Crash Course
I have always been confused about which cut of corned beef I should buy, the flat cut or the point cut. Corned beef comes from beef brisket, a hard-working muscle from the chest region of a steer. Brisket is tough but, when cooked properly, has amazing flavor.
You can buy a whole brisket, but the corned beef you usually find in the grocery store around St. Patrick’s Day is sold fresh in a pouch with a small package of spices.
Point cut corned beef is smaller and triangular. It has a lot of fat running through it, which is good for flavor. It comes out nice and juicy when you cook it. Point cuts are a good choice if you plan to shred the meat after cooking. It is usually a little cheaper, but there is more waste.
If you want to serve a traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner with neat slices of meat, you should choose a flat cut. It is more common because it has a more attractive, rectangular, visually appealing look. The flat cut is quite a bit leaner than the point. It does have a layer of fat on the bottom, which will keep the meat moist. A flat cut (sometimes called a round cut) will slice up more neatly between the two.
Add A Wee Bit Of Guinness To Bring Out The Very Best Irish Flavor
Begin by rinsing the corned beef and patting it dry. Slice an onion, chop three garlic cloves, and put them in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Lay the meat on them and add one bottle of Guinness and a cup of beef broth. Guinness is the most iconic beer in the world. It has been brewed in Dublin since 1759. It is THE beer for Irish stew.
I used Better Than Bouillon beef flavor to make my broth. In my opinion, it is the world’s best. Put the lid on the Instant Pot, turn it to seal, and set it to pressure cook on high for 90 minutes. Allow the pressure to drop naturally when the cooking time ends.
Remove the meat and set it aside on a platter or cutting board. Remove and discard the onion and garlic. Retain one and one-half cups of the cooking liquid. You can also turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting and reduce the liquid or discard part of it if needed.
I used “B” sized white potatoes and full-size carrots I peeled and cut into two to three-inch lengths and a medium head of white cabbage cut in wedges. This step goes fast! Put the carrots and potatoes in the Pot and lay the cabbage wedges on top. Pressure cook on high for just four minutes, and when the time is up, quick-release the pressure in the Pot.
Slice the beef thinly and trim off any unwanted fat. Arrange the vegetables on the platter with the meat and feast!! There you go! A platter brimming with Perfect Corned Beef and Cabbage!
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
Flavorful, tender corned beef along with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes made entirely in your Instant Pot.
- One flat cut corned beef brisket with spice packet, approximately three pounds
- 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon beef base
- Three garlic cloves, chopped
- One medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle Guinness beer of your choice
- Three large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths.
- 1.5 pounds "B" size white potatoes
- One medium head of white cabbage, cut into six or eight wedges.
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Rinse the corned beef and pat it dry.
- Slice the onion, chop three cloves of garlic, and put them in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Lay the meat right on top of them and add one bottle of Guinness, the contents of the spice packet, a cup of beef broth made with Better Than Bouillon beef flavor.
- Put the lid on the Instant pot, turn it to seal, and set it to pressure cook on high for 90 minutes. Allow the pressure to drop naturally when the cooking time ends.
- Remove the meat and set it aside on a platter or cutting board.
- Remove and discard the onion and garlic.
- Retain one and one-half cups of the cooking liquid. You can also turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting and reduce the liquid or discard part of it if needed.
- Add carrots and potatoes to the broth, and lay cabbage wedges on top.
- Pressure cook on high for just four minutes, and when the time is up, quick-release the pressure in the pot.
- Slice the beef thinly and trim off any unwanted fat. Arrange the vegetables on the platter with the meat and feast!!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 366mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g
This recipe is so good and so easy to make; it should not be limited to serving once a year! Here are two other popular Irish recipes you might want to try! Irish Soda Bread and Colcannon are both delicious classics you will want to make again and again! Oh! And if you have room for dessert, here are several Irish Desserts to choose from!
MORE OF OUR QUICK AND EASY FAMILY-STYLE RECIPES:
The Ultimate Bread and Butter Pickle Recipe
The Number 1 Practically Perfect Poppy Seed Bread
Oven-Baked Steak With Brown Gravy
If you like these recipes, you are our people! You can check some related articles below or search via categories on the right. But be warned; you will be on here for hours. Enjoy!