So Good You Can’t Stop Eating This Saltine Cracker Toffee
This easy homemade saltine cracker toffee is positively delicious and addictive! Butter and sugar magically combine to make crunchy toffee on a salty base of crackers and chopped pecans as it bakes.
When it comes out of the oven, add a thick layer of chocolate! My husband says the taste reminds him of a Heath Bar, and you can’t go wrong with that! What more could you possibly want?
The ingredients are so simple, and there’s a good chance you have them in your kitchen cupboard right now!
Begin by covering a large 15″ x 10″ x 1″ rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. Reynolds is my favorite brand; it’s the one I use every time!! Line up forty saltine crackers on the sheet pan. Five rows of eight crackers fit very well.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine the butter and sugar in a heavy saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a rolling boil. Stir constantly. Remove it from the heat immediately when the mixture boils and becomes foamy-looking. Be careful! The mixture gets really hot!
Carefully pour the sugar-butter mixture over the crackers as evenly as possible and sprinkle with the chopped pecans. Bake for 13-15 minutes but watch closely. Every oven bakes differently. The sugar mixture will caramelize to a beautiful golden brown, and toward the end of the baking time, it can happen fast. Don’t overbake!
- 40 individual saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- One 12-ounce bag of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 75 degrees
- Line a large (15" x10" x1") rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine butter and sugar in a heavy saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until it comes to a full rolling boil and begins to look foamy. Stir constantly!
- Pour the sugar/butter mixture over the crackers as evenly as possible and sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes but watch closely. Every oven bakes differently. The sugar mixture will caramelize to a beautiful golden brown, and toward the end of the baking time, it can happen fast. Do not overbake.
- Take the pan out of the oven, sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over it, and let them melt to the point that you can spread them with a knife or spatula.
- Spread chocolate evenly over the crackers and let the pan cool until the chocolate is firm again.
- Break into pieces and place in a tightly covered tin or another container that you can seal tightly. Line the tin with waxed paper and keep it in a cool place.
- You can freeze this candy, too.
Remove the pan from the oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the toffee-covered crackers as evenly as possible. Be patient and watch closely as the chocolate chips melt to the point you can spread the chocolate over the entire pan. Let the pan cool on a rack until the chocolate resumes a firm consistency.
For even more variety of saltine cracker toffee, you can use any of the amazing flavors of Nestles baking chips; milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, butterscotch, espresso, peanut butter chocolate, or funfetti chips!
While we’re thinking about variety, how about using graham crackers or club crackers for a base? The possibilities are almost unlimited!
Now, you can break the saltine cracker toffee candy into pieces and put it in a waxed-paper-lined tin or another container that you can keep closed tightly. Then, my advice is to hide it because this stuff is addictive!! 😉 It is so light and crisp and has that fantastic sweet and salty flavor combination that makes our taste buds light up!!
This is one of our absolute favorite candies. It has everything we crave in candy except maybe peanut butter, but even then, this one is a top contender. Why not get creative with this amazing stuff and crush it to put on top of cupcakes, a peanut butter pie, or a cheesecake? Wouldn’t it be great to sprinkle over ice cream or pudding?
We love candy! We especially love candy that’s easy to make and not fussy to do. Here are some of our other favorites! Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites, No Bake Frito Bars, Chocolate Coconut Balls, Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls, Pretzel Hugs, Easy Peanut Butter Fudge. What is your family’s favorite?
MORE OF OUR QUICK AND EASY FAMILY-STYLE RECIPES:
If you like these recipes, you are our people! You can check some related articles below or search via categories on the right. But be warned; you will be on here for hours. Enjoy!